General Team Wikis Info
General Team Wikis Info (all teams access)
- Do's and don't for team members
- Posting on FIOD/FLC
- Setting up your Freecycle.org email account
- Team directories
- Training module and How to use the Mod Tools
- Using and editing the Freecycle Wiki
- Training workflow
- Recruiting new local moderators
- List of UK Counties and GOA regions
- Group Naming Conventions
- Explanation of the point-centered group concept
- List of all active Freecycle.org groups and link to the map
Review of the basics
Please review New Moderator Orientation just to make sure you are aware of all the latest information
Tech issue reporting process for team members
- Member of IMOD/GOA watch group reports a problem to the moderator, GOA/IMOD refers member to the Support Team. GOA/IMOD should not act as an intermediary between the member and Support. If the problem is not solved or if it is a major issue that cannot wait, GOA/IMOD can escalate it by going directly to GOACoordinator, Hub Coordinator or Hub Coordinator's assistant.
- Mod discovers a problem, mod reports it to FIOD
- Mod tells GOA there's a problem. If GOA can't fix it, refer mod to Sitemodhelp@freecycle.org. GOA should not act as intermediary between SMH and the mod. If SMH does not solve the mod's problem or if the problem is a major issue that cannot wait, GOA can escalate the issue by going through GOACoordinator/Hub Coordinator/Hub Coordinator's assistant.
- Team member has a problem, team member reports it to Team Lead. TL confirms the issue by reproducing it. TL files a BT or asks Hub Coordinator/Hub Coordinator's assistant to file a BT. Here is the information needed for reporting a problem.
- For issues referred to SMH, SMH will attempt to replicate the problem. If SMH needs to enter the group for testing, they first get permission from the GOA. GOA should annotate GA that SMH is entering the group for testing. SMH or Info Coordinator will file a BT if issue cannot be resolved.
- Mail issues: the tech team is unable to address problems that are not related to Freecycle.org's servers. If you are having a problem with Thunderbird that replicates on webmail, please report it. Otherwise, please click here.
Roles of Teams
We have a check and balance system to ensure that each team fulfills its duties to the groups while staying within boundaries of their role. If a TFN team member is on one of the groups without prior approval, the appropriate Team Lead will resolve the situation.
Team members should never add their personal IDs as moderator/LM of any groups other than their own home group. The rules below specify when Freecycle.org IDs may be on groups.
IMOD team members may be on local groups using @freecycle.org addresses only. IMODs are not generally on groups with moderators except very briefly at GOA's request. Interimmod (Team Leaders only) is the only team with authority to remove moderators from groups, on request from GOA. Deron, the GOA Team Leader, the Outreach Coordinator and the Hub Coordinator may also remove moderators and will let Interimmod know. Interimmod is added to all headless IMOD groups.
IMOD21 is on groups with mods at GOA's request for vacation coverage.
GOA IDs should not be on any local groups (MyF or YG) except when a group is turned over to them by IMOD watch. They may only be on these groups using the GOA official @freecycle.org email address only and not a personal address. In this capacity, they may approve messages (often because it was flagged with a hot word), respond to emails, and remove spam. They should be sending recruitment ADMINs on a regular basis to find new mods.
GOASupport is added to groups with mods in training. GOASupport does not approve or reject posts and normally stays on a group for a week.
There are several members of the Info Team.
The Infocoordinator has a wide variety of responsibilities, including helping to co-ordinate spam/scam complaints and technical inquiries from moderators and members. The person in this role is the 'official mouthpiece' of Freecycle on the FIOD discussion group and provides regular (weekly) reports to members.
SiteModHelp helps troubleshoot technical problems on groups. Where a volunteer needs to enter a group to troubleshoot an issue in this capacity, permission is sought from the state/regional GOA first.
The Spam Control̊ team removes spam and scammers. This volunteer is not expected to need to join any local groups.
The Support team assists members with their inquiries and forwards emails to the regional/state GOA. This volunteer is not expected to need to join any local groups.
NGAs are responsible for new applications for groups and will work with GOA to establish whether a new group is required and to set up the group. They use their NGA email addresses to email potential mods and other team members. NGAs set up groups using their personal IDs but as soon as the group goes live they leave the group and turn it over to NGASupport for new mod orientation. NGAs also use their personal IDs in GA like the GOAs do. Once the group is fully established and a local moderator or GOA is on the group, this volunteer should leave the group. The individual NGA IDs are never added to groups as mods/LMs.
Programmers--Steev Hise manages the site and has other help. Sometimes they join local groups to troubleshoot technical problems. It is unusual for them to be on a group for longer than 24 hours.