Moderator Manual:Main Page
Click here for coronavirus guidance for moderators
The Moderator Manual provides the required guidelines as well as additional support information for all Freecycle group moderators
New Moderator Orientation
New to moderating? Need a refresher? Check out our New Moderator Orientation page
Being a moderator is a small commitment which may take 15 or more minutes each day - a commitment you can share with others.
The basics of the ‘job’ include:
- Maintaining a positive, friendly, non-threatening relationship with other mods and members.
- Approving pending members and pending posts within 24 hours and inquiries within 48 hours.
- Being aware of the privileged position and taking great care not to take advantage of it.
- Maintaining confidentiality of member information
- Developing and maintaining knowledge of Freecycle rules and guidelines.
- Being familiar with the Mod Manual and referring to it regularly. ‐ Joining regional and local mod squads.
- Promoting your Freecycle group and representing Freecycle to the public in a manner that builds a positive reputation for Freecycle.
- Performing other tasks as required.
Getting Immediate Help
- GOA contacts-There is a Group Outreach and Assistance volunteer for each state/province/region. Moderators can contact the appropriate volunteer for assistance.
- Moderator Discussion Groups-Join an international discussion group to get in touch with other moderators. Feel free to ask or answer questions, offer suggestions, share with others what's going on in your region. All moderators welcome.
- Tech problems - This section of the wiki lists known tech issues and workarounds and explains how to report new errors
- Volunteering-For those who want to participate a bit more in the Freecycle movement, take a look here for ideas on how you can help.
Required Guidelines & Policies
- Guidelines and Disclaimer
- Social Media Guidelines
- Copyright and Trademark Policy
- Do's & Don'ts
- Moderator ID and email address
- Trademark Guidelines for Promotional Flyers and Brochures
- Freecycle's Terms of Service
- REQUIRED FILES - Group Guidelines & Disclaimer
In addition to the required file noted below, we've included a number of optional files for your potential use.
- REQUIRED FILES - Group Guidelines and Disclaimer
- FILES - Welcome file with Group Guidelines and Disclaimer
- FILES - Flyers Large
- FILES - Flyers Quarter Page Green
- FILES - Flyers 5x2 Generic
- FILES - Ideas for Challenges
- Sample Notices and Responses
For More Information
- Moderator Oath
- The philosophy of Freecycle.org
- Organizational Chart
- About the Leadership
- Data retention
- Freecycle and Social Media
|© 2003-2021, The Freecycle Network™(http://www.Freecycle.org). All rights reserved.|
Freecycle.org and the Freecycle.org logo are registered trademarks of The Freecycle Network