- 1 Local Group Situations
- 2 Team Roles
Local Group Situations
Setting Up a New Group
- Member applies to start a new group via http://startagroup.freecycle.org.
- The New Group Approvers (NGA) team assesses group for overlap with existing groups and viability. Area covered by new group must have a population at least 10,000. If conditions are favorable:
- NGA sends application to GOA to vet applicant
- NGA sets up new group
- NGA announces new group, orients new mod
Suitable group already exists
- NGA vets applicant, sends for vetting with IMOD and GOA
Existing Groups Without A Lead Moderator
- GOAs refer groups without moderators (>400 members) to Interim Moderators (IMOD)
- IMOD approves and rejects posts according to Guidelines and Disclaimer. While IMOD is on the group, all member inquiries are auto-referred to the FAQ. Members with tech issues are referred to the Info Team. Issues with neighboring groups are referred to GOA.
- MM trains the new mod on the playground
- Once LM is trained, group is promoted and all Freecycle.org teams leave the group.
Groups with little to no activity and no moderators are watched by GOA until a mod is recruited.
Temporary Absence of Lead Moderator
IMODs provide temporary coverage of group on request of GOA
Groups with a Lead Moderator
Groups with Lead Mods operate autonomously as long as they follow the basic guidelines of moderating. GOA may be called in to mediate when there is discord in a group or if the group has a history of overly restrictive moderating.
- GOA may ask IMOD to do a moderator activity check when there are reports of moderator inattention
Role of NGA
- Set up new groups on request of members
- Give input on boundaries when asked
Role of IMOD
- Recruit new moderators for existing groups with no moderators
- Approve and reject posts for groups without moderators according to Guidelines and Disclaimer.
Role of GOA
- Provides moderators with assistance on a wide variety of issues
- Acts as LM on very small groups without lead moderators (approving/rejecting posts, answering member inquiries)
- Guides new moderators through orientation
- Documents group history
- Vets potential moderators and leadership team members
- Provides guidance to groups needing clarification of Freecycle.org's expectations of moderators
Role of the Info Team
- Provides assistance to moderators with tech problems (email@example.com). Questions may come directly from moderators or be referred by GOA. Replicates system issues and files BTs as needed
- Monitors FIOD and addresses moderator tech issues on the board. Replicates system issues and files BTs as needed
- Provides assistance to members with tech problems and other inquiries regarding Freecycle.org. Questions may come directly from members or be referred by IMOD, GOA or mods of local groups. Replicates system issues and files BTs as needed.
- FAQ team answers questions from the public
- Help teams deals with special situations and routes complaints about groups to the appropriate GOAs
- Volunteers handle inquiries from mods who want to volunteer for Freecycle.org teams and routes inquiries to the appropriate team
- Works with all teams to provides wiki support as needed for the Mod Manual, team procedures, member FAQs, and New Moderator Orientation.
- Maintains the Freecycle.org worldwide map
- Oversees maintenance of team directories for all teams
- Social media -- Oversees Freecycle.org's Facebook and Twitter pages
- Public relations
Role of the Hub
All major decisions for The Freecycle Network are made collaboratively by the Hub Global Leadership Team, in consultation with team leaders, moderators and members.